Decades 2001- 2009

Being a Texas native, but moving to Maryland almost 20 years ago and believing I had experienced all that there was to experience, I was wrong.  I'm currently taking AMST 480: Community in American Research class and we are discussing the renovations to the Lexington Market. I had no idea there was a Lexington Market, let alone there was renovation plans that wanted to be done to improve the market. Reading articles from the Baltimore Sun on my given decade year that involved the Lexington Market, helped me grasp what was being proposed. 
          The information I gained from the different articles was what the new management team wanted from the " 4 million dollar face lift / makeover"; so the Market could appeal to a wider group of new clientele.  The constant theme behind each article was a persons sense of security when visiting the Lexington Market; many said they wouldn't venture the market alone. Which is a shame because many are unaware of the great deals that market can provide, while others are worried about the drug dealings that take place in front of the market. There are so many "plans" of what the developers and new management team has in store for the Lexington Market, whether it's the appeal of fresh produce, to artisan cheese, or gourmet espresso drinks. These improvements were designed   to appeal to the new housing that is being developed around the market.  I haven't been to the Lexington Market, or any other market that is suppose to resemble the Lexington Market, so my view behind this issue is distorted. I understand why the management team may want to improve upon the market, but I don't like or agree with developers means of over development. Each side needs a common end goal and an idea of who we are remodeling the market for? 









Comments

  1. Please add the articles citations to LM: A Collection of Sources: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZeHeDnTfSW9_17B9bdRPf67Oj1MmcxaNaA7EWPkuWyE/edit?usp=sharing

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Interview Draft

Next steps/ Future plans